Smoothies are a great way to add an extra dose of health to your day. But most of us are wasting an opportunity when it comes to the liquids we use in our smoothies. While almond milk may be delicious and creamy, it lacks health benefits. That is why I like to use smoothie infusions, cold herbal infusions, as the liquid in my smoothies. This adds the power of plant medicine to your smoothie.
How to Make an Infusion for Your Smoothie
- Pour 2 cups filtered water into a pot
- Add 4 TBSP of dried herbs
- Bring to boil, cover, and let simmer until liquid is reduced by half
- Remove herbs using a fine mesh filter or cheesecloth
- Cool liquid
- Use 1 part infusion to 1 part almond or coconut milk in smoothie
Herbs to Use
- Reishi mushrooms for immune support
- Schisandra berries for liver and adrenal support
- Hawthorne berries for cardiovascular support
- Bilberries for blood vessel and vision support
- Nettles for detoxification
- Ginseng for energy
- Gotu kola for skin and brain health
- Green tea for focus
You can use a single herb or combine different herbs. Some herbs can have a strong earthy taste so experiment with how much of the infusion you can handle in your smoothie.
And remember, always consult with your doctor who is educated about herbal medicine before using any herbs. Plants and medicine and they can interact with medications. So if you are currently taking any medications or you have been diagnosed with any health conditions, consult with your doctor before creating smoothie infusions.
I'm Dr. Carly and my mission is to create a health revolution. I believe that another prescription is not the answer. I believe in using natural therapies that go beyond the symptoms. And I believe that doctors should spend way more than 7 minutes with a patient.