Turmeric is a potent medicinal herb. It embodies the phrase "food as medicine." It has a long history of treating and preventing many diseases and research is finally catching up.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Lowers cholesterol
- Protects the liver
- Prevents tumor formation
- Stimulates digestion
- Thins the blood
- Prevents atherosclerosis
I love to put turmeric (and lots of it) on basically all my food. But not everyone may enjoy getting their turmeric this way. An alternative is to make golden milk. This is a tasty beverage that combines turmeric with other ingredients to maximize absorption and health benefits. Enjoy a cup of golden milk as you relax in the evenings.
Caution: Turmeric is contraindicated in pregnancy, bile duct obstruction, and stomach ulcers.
Golden Milk Recipe
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup
- pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth
- Add to saucepan and heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until hot, but before boiling.
- Enjoy! Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator (covered) and consumed the next day. Discard if you do not use it the next day.
Tilgner, Sharol. 1999. Herbal Transitions Materia Medica. Curcuma Longa.
I'm Dr. Carly and my mission is to create a health revolution. I believe that another prescription is not the answer. I believe in using natural therapies that go beyond the symptoms. And I believe that doctors should spend way more than 7 minutes with a patient.