Frequently Asked Questions
Why a Program?
Because the traditional health care model is broken. I've spent years working in this model and it doesn't work. Doctors have to manage hundreds or even thousands of patients, which makes it very difficult for them to really connect with you and listen to your needs. So patients are not getting the care they deserve. A program solves many of these problems. It allows for truly personalized care, plenty of time with the doctor, and transparency in pricing. It also creates motivation through commitment. Health doesn't happen in an hour or even two. True healing takes time and a program gives us the time to truly transform your health.
What if I don't want to commit to a program?
Then you don't have to. The Program is not designed to lock you into care that is not a good fit for you. Here are a few things to know:
- You can cancel the program at anytime if you are not happy. We will balance your account so you have paid for services rendered and nothing more. I do my best to make sure that we are a good fit before you join the program and that 6-12 months of care is actually necessary, but sometimes needs and goals change. I understand.
- All patients must start with a Trial Appointment. This a trial for both of us. This is for you to determine if I am the right doctor for you and to learn a little more about what your care might look like. This is also for me to determine if you are the right patient for me. Qualified patients are those that are ready and willing to commit to working on their health for at least 6 months, who are willing and able to make lifestyle changes, who understand that there are no quick fixes when it comes to health, and who are willing to be open & honest, communicate fully, and prioritize their health.
- If your case is simple, we can do a fee for service arrangement to better fit your needs. This may be a comprehensive consultation with general recommendations (with or without laboratory assessment) or sporadic visits when you need guidance. This costs $300/hr and most appointments are 30-45 minutes.
Do I need to come to your office for visits?
No. I offer online appointments through a secure platform similar to Skype. You will be able to access your treatment plans and supplements online and you can complete many of the labs at home.
What is the cost?
For the 6 month program, the cost is $1600. You will pay $100 at the Initial Evaluation and then 6 monthly payments of $250 billed at the end of the monthly billing cycle. For the 12 month program, the cost is $2500. You will pay $100 at the Initial Evaluation and then 12 monthly payments of $200 billed at the end of the monthly billing cycle.
what does the price include?
Price includes appointments, email support, access to online health library, and all case management (prescription refills, medical records request, coordinating care, research, etc.). Price does NOT include labs and supplements.
How much do labs and supplements cost?
Lab costs vary significantly based on your insurance coverage. We review the worst case scenario for pricing at the Trial Appointment. Supplements typically cost $50-$150 a month for the first few months of treatment. Unlike many other health care professionals, I use supplements strategically with an understanding of physiology. What this means for you is that we can use fewer supplements for shorter duration and with greater results. I do my best to keep the expense for supplement as low as possible while still achieving therapeutic affect. And while I offer discounted access to physician-grade supplements, you are not required to buy your supplements through me.
What is the cancellation policy?
You can cancel at anytime. We will balance your account so you have paid for services rendered and nothing more.
Do you take insurance?
I am an out-of-network provider, so services will be covered at whatever your plan's out-of-network rate is. To learn more about your coverage:
- Call the customer service number on the back of your insurance card.
- Ask if you have out-of-network coverage.
- Find out if you have a deductible for out-of-network coverage and what percentage they will cover for out-of-network costs.
- Find out if they will cover wellness visits, evaluation & management visits or both (this is important for me to know!).
- Find out if they will cover labs ordered by out-of-network providers, if you have to meet a deductible, and what percentage they will cover.
- For labs, ask if they have a preferred out-of-network lab.
- Ask how you can submit your claim, making sure to get the correct forms and mailing address (they may tell you to have the doctor submit the claim, but you need to, so be sure to get all the info you need).
- If they ask what a naturopathic doctor is, tell them a naturopathic doctor is a licensed primary care provider in the state of California.
You may also be able to use your HSA or FSA to pay for services. Contact your insurance company to learn more about how to use your money to pay for appointments, labs, and even prescribed supplements.
If you have out-of-network coverage, I will bill you at the time of service so you can maximize your reimbursement. You will be provided with a superbill with the necessary insurance codes and an invoice to submit to your insurance company. If your insurance company has additional forms, please bring those to the appointment. Make sure that the insurance company directs reimbursement to you and not to me.
WHEN WILL I START FEELING BETTER?
This depends on you. Most people notice results after 4 weeks. Others experience improvements after a few days and some after a few months. Feeling better is not the same thing as healing though. In the beginning, we focus on getting you feeling better by managing your symptoms with natural therapies. Once you have energy, stamina, and motivation, we focus on correcting the underlying issues. This is where the real work and the real healing happens. And this work takes time no matter what.
CAN YOU GUARANTEE RESULTS?
I cannot guarantee any results because you are responsible for your health. I can only guarantee that I will work with you to the best of my ability, providing solid recommendations, communicating honestly, and educating you fully. But it is up to you to actually do the work and get the results.
So the real question is not can I guarantee results but can you? Are you committed to changing your health and your life for the better? Are you willing to learn? Are you willing to work? And most importantly, are you willing to communicate honestly and fully. Communication is the foundation for success. If I understand your expectations, worries, fears, disappointments, doubts, hopes, dreams, and goals, I will know which treatment options will be successful for you or which won't. If you can do all that, then without a doubt, we can make an incredible difference in your health together.
What does BioAdaptive Medicine mean?
The name BioAdaptive Medicine represents the principles and philosophy of naturopathic medicine and my unique perspective on health. Disease happens when the body encounters an obstacle that disrupts its normal function. The body is forced to adapt to this obstacle, to change its physiology to accommodate this obstacle. From this perspective, disease is a state of "adaptive physiology" and all we need to do is remove the obstacles so the body can adapt back to a state of health. The name BioAdaptive Medicine embodies this approach to health and honors the body's adaptability, inherent wisdom, and self-healing capabilities.
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic medicine is a distinct primary health care profession, emphasizing prevention, treatment and optimal health through the use of therapeutic methods and substances which encourage the person's inherent self -healing process. This means that we are primary care doctors that approach health differently and use natural therapeutics
EVALUATE THE WHOLE PERSON
You are more than just your symptoms. You are more than your disease. You are a person with a unique personality, biochemistry, and genetics, all of which are important when it comes to health. Naturopathic doctors evaluate you as a whole person so that we can figure out the real problem and determine what you really need to heal.
TREAT THE PERSON, NOT THE SYMPTOMS
Naturopathic doctors look beyond the symptoms so that we can focus on health. Symptoms are often just your body's way of telling you something is wrong but they are not the real problem. Symptoms are the fire alarm, not the fire. They tell us that there is a fire, but not where it is, how big it is, and what started it. Our mission is to find the fire, put it out, and learn what started it so we can prevent future fires. To do that, we take a whole health, whole person approach.
What is a naturopathic doctor?
A naturopathic doctor is a licensed primary care doctor in the state of California. We can order lab tests and imaging, diagnose disease, and prescribe some medications. In the state of California, the current prescriptive authority is limited to hormones (thyroid, estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone medications). We are very similar to MDs in our training and scope of practice. We simply have a different approach to disease and treatment.
Do you work with males?
Yes, I do work with people who identify as male. I do not exclude them from my practice. I simply work best with people who identify as female because I understand their needs so much better.